Schools must promote British values.
Advice from the DfE is to do so through SMSC, though Ofsted will assess it through the curriculum too.
What must be taught?
* Enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence
* Enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England
* Encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely
* Enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England
* Further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation for and respect for their own and other cultures
* Encourage respect for other people, and
* Encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.
The Collective Worship Council led a Collective Worship
about the British Values.
We discussed each value and the children played different 'Thumbs up/ Thumbs Down' games.